At hand: a can of Bumblebee canned crab, going spare.
Needed: a sandwich filling with versatility (since it was unlikely that we’d consume the entire can in one evening’s meal, between only my husband and me).
This is another of those recipes that’s less “recipe” and more “procedure for combining.” Into a bowl containing the can of crab, drained, I put:
- Corn, one ear’s worth, freshly removed from the cob
- Chickpeas, one can’s worth, drained
- Capers, about a tablespoon
- Cilantro, fresh, about a quarter cup
- Chopped roasted red peppers, miniature, about 4
- Chopped pea shoots, about a cup’s worth
Thusly mixed, I dressed the bowl with about a tablespoon of good curry powder and three or four tablespoons’ worth of jalapeno mustard. Some extra kosher salt got added to taste after everything was gently folded together.
I put it onto flatbread, on a bed of fresh spinach. Delicious. Today, I added slices of fresh tomato from our farmers’ market. Even better!
Makes about six half-cup servings. Per serving: Fat: 1.2g; Carbohydrates: 17.4g; Calories: 118.0; Protein: 6.7g.